Thursday, August 5, 2010

Class: August 5, 2010

Today Jeremy reviewed the sweeps from yesterday as well as the monson choke from sidemount. I picked up some details on the monson choke:
-use your chest to create space and get under the chin
-when you walk, turn their head away from you using your body
-drop your head to the mat
-walk backwards to increase pressure and get deeper

During sparring I sat the first round as there was an odd number of people and I didn't partner up fast enough.

Second round I partnered with a really large noob who loves to smash people. I started playing some butterfly guard and eventually armdragged to the back where I worked my penn state grip, which I've been slaying people with of late, until he suggested that we reset. We reset and he tried to pull guard. I passed to mount and worked my usual head control and post way out with grapevine game until he tried to bench me off. Straightening his arms gave me the opportunity to hit an arm triangle. We reset and I armdragged to the back again, this time setting up and finishing a rear naked choke.

My final roll was with our resident old and gnarled badass. I started off playing some butterfly guard again, looking for the loop choke. He stuffed my right hook, so I popped my left foot onto his bicep and got sleeve control while underhooking his leading leg in the hope of sweeping from spiderguard. He sank back and I almost managed to sweep straight over the top, but a brief scramble ensued and I was back in guard. We continued with him killing my hooks and me head manipulating and hip escaping back to guard. Eventually we were in a position that resembled what Kevin taught on Tuesday, except one of my legs was closer to his hip. I tried to use this as a hook for taking the back, and I was very nearly successful. He had my other leg, though, and did a great job of keeping it pinned to the mat which prevented me from getting my hips around.

After class, Jeremy showed me a great detail on the running man escape, which is to use the hand that normally protects your collar to windshield wipe under you as you roll such that you can use it as a lever and keep their legs off.

No comments:

Post a Comment