Friday, August 27, 2010

Class 08/26/2010

Jeremy showed some kimura setups, and most importantly he reopened my eyes to the royler gracie kimura, or "roylermura." I had completely forgotten about it for the longest time, so I was very happy to be reintroduced to it.

My first round of sparring was with a blue named Jen. If I had to guess, I would say that I probably weigh twice as much as her. That being said, I tried my hardest not to put undue force behind anything and doing my best to only move from my core, rather than flailing my limbs about. I started by sitting out to butterfly hooks, but I soon gathered that she would rather play guard than pass, so I came forward. I was able to make good use of my sprawl pass to sidemount where I worked on controlling the hips and setting up my kimura/armbar setup as she came up on her side. I got in position a few times, but she generally closed up and it seemed inappropriate to muscle for it. At one point she reguarded and I passed again. The round went by with my staying in sidemount and switching sides for the arm as she turned to her side.

Next, I rolled with George, and I continued to work on my back control after armdragging to the back. Once again I had zero luck trying to find a hole in his defense, and spent most of the time working on moving with him and staying tight on the hips. I also focused on shifting my grips and hook retension.

Finally, I had a very dynamic and athletic roll with Big Tony. He started with butterfly guard and I worked on pressurepassing it. I was somewhat stymied because he secured an overhook on the side I was trying to pass to and he is also excellent at keeping his hooks after I am mostly passed. I figure the solution to that is to escrima my legs out of the hooks. From sidemount I worked to set up a collar choke, but it was very loose and he turned into it and we scrambled like mad. I felt him setting up an armbar, so I started defending immediately and escaped it without too much trouble. We continued from the same position and he scrambled to mount where he hit some bizarre choke that I mostly tapped to because I was afraid of it. We reset and I passed his guard again, still struggling with his hooks. The time expired with me in sidemount.

No comments:

Post a Comment