Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Class 08/31/2010

Today, Will covered a triangle set up from open guard with both feet on the hips and sleeve control. I liked it because it'll tie in with the open guard I've been working on recently as both rely on stretching people out with feet on the hips and both hands on a sleeve. He also covered the armbar counter to a posturing opponent. Tony pointed out that it's good to focus more on the leg that's higher on their head (both legs are on the head/neck for this armbar) than the lower one. I picture it as trying to bend the neck and put that heel on the ground.

My first roll was with Tony. I worked to pass his guard and was eventually successful. I spent some time in side mount, and Tony kept working to trap my bottom arm with his legs. I opened his lapels and tried using them to keep him turned away from me, but at some point I was reversed, as I recall it was because I leaned forward in KOB. He started to set up an armbar, which i countered by slipping under his leg and forcing him to go belly down. At that point, my arm was entangled in som mystifying way that wasn't an armbar but put a lot of pressure on my shoulder, so I tapped. After that, I passed guard again and then time ran out.

My second round was with Adam. He pulled guard and I started working to pass. He started playing spiderguard, and I am disappointed in how not proactive I was about passing. I had solid posture and base, so he was not able to sweep me or set up any submissions, although I noticed that he was trying to work the triangle we had just learned. What frustrated me was that I noticed a severe deficiency in my ability to strip his spider hooks. What's even more frustrating is that I know how to do it, I just didn't. I have some great fear of standing up against an opponent who's playing guard, and I need to overcome that in case someone tries to play spider guard since getting both of their legs extended is much easier if you're standing. Eventually, he gave up the spider hooks, though, and I was able to leg rope and pass without too much trouble. What I did notice, though, is that he has become much more prone to stiff arming my hips and that gave me fits. This means that I must become more adept at breaking his frame with my legs. I also need to address my lack of head control recently. I've become to accustomed to reverse scarfhold and have this let the shoulder of justice fall by the wayside. It's time to bring it back.

I was sitting the last round out because there was an odd number of people until Adam rolled his ankle and I jumped in with Jay, a high level purple. I worked to pass his guard with my usual trickery. I noticed that there was one point at which he had stretched me out almost completely and I was doing nothing to get my arm back. Derp. I did get my arm back, though, and started working on my leg rope pass. I passed to my usual side mount, but he grabbed my head and started pulling me over backwards. Fortunately, I was able to trap his legs and prevent him from coming on top until I freed my head and came back into his guard. Since we started rolling with 1:40 left in the round, time ran out about now.

Today yielded a few important points:

1) On top, press down at an angle, not straight down. From sidemount, push into your partner by driving forward and down. Think a 45 degree angle instead of a 90.

2) Jay pointed out that I was looking down by bending my neck. In the future, I'll have to make sure I keep my view on the point where the wall and ceiling meet each other to ensure that my posture is good.

3) Head control. Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment