Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Class August 4, 2010

Today Jeremy covered a way to finish a double leg: if your opponent steps their leg back, you underhook hard on the same side, tap the knee and take them in the direction of your head; the opposite direction you would go if you were turning the corner.

Next, he taught a counter to the almost inevitable guillotine. You control their near shoulder and plant your forehead on the ground and move in the direction of north/south. If you need, you control the hip with the hand that was underhooking. Eventually, your head pops out. Jeremy pointed out that this escape is a secondary option to going to sidemount with your head trapped.

Next, Jeremy covered the same takedown from the knees. He covered several variants, and the ones I found the most interesting were ones that started from butterfly guard. The best place to start from is already having a deep underhook and reacting depending on how your opponent responds. If they are trying to posture up and away, you come up and hit the sweep. If they're trying to push into you, you must have double underhooks whereupon you lift them and push them away. You use the momentum to come up and tap the knee.

Next Jeremy covered three ways to defeat any eventual attempts to post with their arm (apart from snatching the post out from under them). First, he covered the option of moving around them to sidemount, which assumes that they collapse their post. This option requires you to smash their legs together and that you place your weight on their hips as you move around to sidemount. The next option involves using your knees to put your knee on their leg/hips as you move around. When you've gotten far enough, you switch your knees so that you're essentially in a basic KOB position. The next option is if they don't collapse their post, in which case you take their back. The final option supposes that they sit back and try to pull butterfly guard. It is essential to keep the underhook and pin the leg with the other hand. You proceed as with the jumping guard pass from shogunhq.

My first roll was with Tony, and arguably one of the most fun rolls I've had all summer. We moved around a lot and I really felt like I was on. I can't think of any real questions.

My next roll was with a bit of a spaz. I focused on moving slowly and methodically. My biggest question is: how di I defeat the chin tuck when trying set up a goat slayer without simply brutalizing their face.

Finally, I rolled with a blue belt who looked to be about my weight. I started under sidemount. I escaped using Roy Dean's underhook the body and spin method. After that, we played guard and I was left with a few questions:
1) How can I improve my deep butterfly sweep? I often get their knee to the ground but can't get on top. Throw the other leg and use momentum to come up?
2) Again, how do finish goat slayer?





No comments:

Post a Comment