Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Return 2: The Revenge

As it turns out, my "back in action" declaration was a little hasty. On the metro ride home it became very apparent that I had not recovered from my sinus infection as fully as I wanted to believe, and I have subsequently taken an additional week off. Frustrating, yes, but it was also good to have 2 weeks or so to reflect on some things. At this point I'm back on the wagon and have thought up some things that I want to write down so I can more easily keep track of them for future reference.

One of the most important thoughts I've had is how to effectively train and learn a chain of techniques. Upon some reflection, I saw why I've had so much success with the arm drag to flower sweep/back/armbar series this summer. It's because the first step of this series is very concrete and definitive: push their elbow across your centerline. It's not that I have some natural talent for pushing elbows across centerlines or anything like that, but rather it's the fact that the entire series requires a very definitive first step that is easy to identify and practice. Similarly, the second step (trap the arm using the sleeve and your chest) is also very clear and easy to identify. All of this is to say that my success has largely been in part to having a series that is broken down into a number of steps that can individually be broken down and practiced on their own, such that when the whole shebang is strung together, it's that much easier to perform.

Seeing this has really turned me on to the way Eddie Bravo teaches his system. If you read Mastering the Rubber Guard, you see that his guard techniques are broken down into a string of very simple and relatively small steps. First you break them down. Then you hit mission control etc. The genius of this is that it gives you a series of layovers, so to speak, that give you something more to work towards than "do an armbar." What I especially like about this mindset is that it makes it much easier to be proactive in any given situation. Whereas I used to sit and wait for my opponent to make a mistake, having a concrete first step (cross the elbow) has made it easier since everything leads to that default action. For example: Break Grips --> Cross arm. That's obviously a gross simplification, but having that progression in mind is very useful.

What's more, thinking of techniques this way makes it much easier to troubleshoot your game. Rather than saying "my armbar from guard doesn't work. I need to practice that" you can say "Step B of my armbar doesn't work. I need to practice that." I realize that this little discovery of mine is probably fairly low on the totem pole, but holy shit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment