Friday, July 30, 2010

Class 7/29/2010

Jeremy showed some guard pulls and open guard sweeps against a standing opponent. The most interesting bit for me was the possibility of using one leg x-guard against standing opponents who step one of their legs too far back to hit a sickle sweep on.

Sparring started off with Robin, a fellow white belt. He started by trying to pull guard, which I passed without too much trouble. Unfortunately, I spent most of the time languishing in sidemount. I really need to stop being lazy in sidemount and either be more aggressive about going for attacks or just giving it up altogether and putting myself in more bad spots. That being said, I was somewhat proactive about setting up far side armbars and kimuras. I had trouble finishing them because I did not effectively prevent him from turning into me, which is something I will need to work on.

-How can I prevent my partner from turning in during armbar setups?

My next roll was with Arlan, a white belt who is considerably less technical, but also a great deal bigger and stronger, so he presents a series of challenges all his own. He started trying to pass my open guard, and managed to get to half-guard once, but I hipped out and got back to guard. Nothing else of any real importance happened; I showed him some guard passes and that's about it.

-Control the sleeves and stretch standing opponents out more

Finally, I rolled with Kevin the gnarled purple belt. He passed my guard into sidemount where I secured an underhook early on and managed to create some good space, which was crucial as he was working to set up a gi-brabo. I eventually used the underhook to get to my knees and sit through for butterfly guard as he tried a 10 finger guillotine on me. I defended and eventually popped my head out. He stuffed one of my hooks and worked my favorite butterfly pass. Eventually he got a head and arm and I tapped as he was mounting because my nose was getting smashed.

We started again and I worked to pass his guard, but made a stupid error and pulled my arm out because I thought the other one was already out. He triangled me and then time ran out.

No comments:

Post a Comment